Job Title: Controller
Supervisor: Mike Smith
Hours: Monday – Friday; 8:30 am – 5:00 pm in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Immediate opening for an experienced financial controller to join a growing professional/management liability insurance brokerage located in Franklin Lakes, NJ. This position is a hands on position to oversee the company’s accounting department for a growing multistate insurance brokerage operations. The successful candidate will be responsible for the accounting, financial reporting, tax and budgeting operations. This position is located in Franklin Lakes, NJ and requires a significant amount of tax compliance and financial reporting in addition to the oversight of the accounts receivable and payable functions. The position will report directly to the Vice President of HR and Finance.
The successful candidate will have at least 10 years of financial management/accounting experience. A CPA is preferred, but other candidates may be considered. The company has operations in almost all 50 states and knowledge of multistate tax law and compliance is helpful. The position offers a competitive salary, bonus and benefits based on experience. Additionally the company offers health benefits, 401K and an FSA.
- Administers and maintains all corporate financial records including books of original entry, supporting schedules and subsidiary ledgers.
- Oversee the company’s accounting operations including AR and AP, including supervision of accounting staff.
- Develop and maintain accounting policies and procedures necessary to maintain an efficient accounting department and maintain compliance with regulatory authorities.
- Preparation of monthly/periodic financial reports and statement for management and regulatory authorities.
- Develop and maintain corporate procedures for maintaining multistate compliance and filing of appropriate multistate tax forms and documents.
- Oversee the filing of the company’s various surplus lines filings and compliance procedures.
- Development of annual budgets, including tracking of monthly progress through reports to management.
- Oversee and coordinate audits to be performed by various state agencies.
- Directs preparation of budgets, reviews budget proposals and prepares necessary supporting documentation and justification.
- Provides for an annual budgeting and planning process to insure long term financial and business strategy.
- Prepares reports which summarize and forecast company business activity and financial position in areas of income, expenses, and earnings based on past, present and expected operations.
- Prepares reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Establishes relations with banks and other financial institutions.
Key Job Requirements:
- Understanding of Multistate tax compliance issues.
- Must be detail oriented and able to multitask.
- Must be able to manage multistate tax filings and deadlines.
- Must be able to work with other members of management and staff to coordinate AR/AP and Surplus Lines activities.
- Previous experience in the insurance industry preferred, but not necessary.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently.
- Must be able to assume responsibility for resolution of client issues.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook is critical.
- College Degree, preferably in Accounting
- Certified Public Accountant preferred
- Experienced financial manager/controller
- This position requires a Criminal background check
- Valid Driver’s License is required
Salary Range: $70,000-$100,000; based on experience
Instructions: Please submit inquiries and applications to Justina Confer
Phone: 201-847-9175 ext 120